1

1

January 31, 2011

Pruning My Crepe Mrytles

I can't stand it any longer.  The temperature is going up to 69 degrees here on Wednesday and already I'm making plans for all the outside chores I want to do.  This is a good time to prune my crepe myrtles.  I was looking at the Southern Living website and they refer to the pruning that most people do as "crepe murder" because they butcher the shrub so badly.  The website offers great instructions on how to prune them properly.

I think I'll also prune my butterfly bush.  It may be a little late in the year but I think I'll do it anyway.  Last year my bush was full of blooms and attracted so many butterflies.

Just thinking about these projects is really theraputic for me.  I love spring and this will be my first spring since I retired.  I plan to enjoy every ray of sunshine and daffodil that blooms!

4 comments:

  1. My DH has pruned the grapes and the trees this weekend, was such a good time to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lucky for you to be doing spring chores. We are expecting another whopper of a storm on Tuesday and Wednesday. Its not feeling very springy around here. Enjoy your lovely weather!!!Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon! I would do a little research on the butterfly bush for the right time to prune. You don't want to prune away the blooms! I do know that you have to prune a lilac right after they bloom. If I do it right now I won't have any blooms on it at all!

    Have fun in the warm weather!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is a butterfly bush, I wonder. Also, I have something for you on my post of 1/31.--Inger

    ReplyDelete