1

1

January 22, 2012

Peanut and Raisin Pie in Surry, VA

In spite of drizzling rain and near freezing temperatures, Saturday was a great day.  My friend and I had read about a few estate sales on EstateSales.Net that were about an hour south of Richmond.  The last sale was in Spring Grove, VA.  Spring Grove is a small town in Surry County, which is just across the James River from Jamestown.


I didn't find any treasures worth mentioning at the sales but I have to tell you about our lunch!  We ate at the Surry House Restaurant which was built in 1954.  The special for the day  was fried oysters, stewed tomatoes, green beans and hush puppies.  It was out of the world delicious!  The tomatoes were the best I've ever eaten! Of course, we had to try their "world famous" peanut and raisin pie and ditto on that.  (Surry County has numerous peanut farms).  I found this recipe online that sounds similar.

Peanut and Raisin Pie

1 cup light corn syrup
3 eggs
¼ cup sugar
½ cup butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
8 oz. plumped raisins (divided)
1 cup chopped peanuts
1 9-inch deep dish unbaked  pie crust

 Preheat oven to 325°F.

2. In a large bowl, thoroughly beat together corn syrup, sugar, butter, vanilla and eggs. Set aside 2 Tbsps. of raisins for garnish. Stir remaining raisins and chopped peanuts into the mixture.

3. Spread mixture into pie shell.

4. Place pie on a baking pan into the preheated oven. When crust browns (about 15-20 mins.), cover it with foil to prevent burning. Continue baking until filling is a deep brown color and set. Total baking time should be approximately 1 hour.

5. Cool completely. Garnish with whipped cream and reserved raisins.





Let me know what you think if you try this recipe!

 



8 comments:

  1. What a delicious sounding pie. I have never had peanuts in a pie before. Sounds sort of like a Chunky Candy Bar in a pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like an interesting pie??? sandie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so love to eat at places like this!! The pie sounds like it could be pretty good--If I try it, I will certainly let you know!

    I hope you've had an enjoyable evening!! Stay warm!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pie sounds great! It is one that I think I will make. I will let you know how we like it. Thanks for sharing,
    have a great week, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. This pie sounds outrageous! I'm drooling for a piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love the new picture for your header. So cute. Did you do that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! I just finished it a few minutes ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a great treat. I had it on two occasions while were were on vacation in the seventies when I was a kid. My wife and I made a special trip to Surry while we were on our honeymoon 17 years ago but sadly they were closed for renovations. The next time 11 years later they had shut down the restaurant. I have been searching for the recipe for years. Thanks for posting this. I am now a diabetic but I want to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete